Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New job

My friend texted me earlier today to tell me (unofficially) that I'd be receiving the call for the job as the board had approved me. I was excited and couldn't wait to go to lunch with Chuck and Alex, to celebrate, on our way to pick up my truck from the shop. The supervisor called while we were driving. There seemed to be some confusion surrounding my question about the county that I'd be working in - she told me the two counties and then asked if it would be a problem. I assured her that I didn't particularly care which county I'd be working in, I'd simply been asked by everyone that I told about the possible job - seemed funny that I'd never inquired afterall. At least I didn't think it would be strange to inquire where I'd be working. It was immediately clear that this subject must have been a point of contention in the past. In any case I start Thursday. Here's to hoping it's a good match. Obviously I can't say for certain since I haven't worked the job yet, but seems silly that any counselor would have an issue with particular counties. A case is a case that needs attention is a case. Until I reach a level of specialization, licensure, etc., what could make the difference between suffering group of people #1 and suffering group of people #2?

I have my truck back. $600 in repairs. The AC works - through the floor vents and the dashboard, NOT through the vents that actually blow on you... and the custom speakers that the previous owner of my truck had installed in the front? Yeah, they're currently disconnected because the mechanic couldn't figure out how to put them back together... About an hour ago I took Alex to get a milk shake. The interior light didn't come on when I opened the door.. apparently THAT no longer works either. Now, the mechanic knew that things weren't fixed, he told Chuck. Since the mechanic was at a different shop but same company that Chuck works for, Chuck's boss said that he'll pay for the repairs at a dealership. This will require an appointment and not having my truck for a week to three weeks.. during which time I'd be driving what exactly?? So basically I paid $600 for a job that will require another possible three weeks to be completed correctly.. Every so often THIS kind of incompetent stuff gets to me!

Tomorrow is my last day "off" before I begin working.. I guess I'll be using the day to prepare some lunches for Alex and get my clothes in order. I might even push the envelope and do something physical. My determination waned in the last two weeks as I allowed one thing after another to get in the way of my walking. I'm feeling down about letting my activity lapse into total inactivity. On top of all the "good" feelings, every other word out of my mouth is turning into an argument with Alex. Not exactly how I wanted to go off to work. But then again, since when does anything go the way I would wish? What would be the growth process in that....

No comments: